Saturday, August 21, 2010

Election

No, not the movie. So today we had congregate in our masses to our local primary school to vote.
In Australia it is compulsory to vote in the state and national election, and today we had to vote for which party we want in Parliament and essentially did we want a new prime minister.
I'll admit to not knowing a lot about politics so my question is do you think it should be compulsory to vote?
I know a lot of people who just vote for who their parents voted for; or who have not much of an idea like me; or those who have even less of a clue. Then is it better to make it non compulsory? This doesn't necessarily mean only informed people will be voting. I'm not sure myself and I also know a lot of people who really see no difference in the 2 front runners anyway, myself included.

2 comments:

Amber said...

In one sense, compulsory voting is cool. I think that Bush won the election here in America, all those years ago, because certain racial and socioeconomic groups that would have been more inclined to vote for Al Gore, didn't vote at all. At the same time, if a person is completely apathetic about politics and they're forced to vote, they're probably going to pick a candidate at random, and to me, that's worse than not voting at all.

Sadako said...

I think people should vote but not b/c of the law. They should do it b/c it's the right thing to do.