In a departure away from posting only when something truly awful or wonderful happens, I am going to be posting about Grease 2. Make of that what you will!
I didn't grow up with Grease 2 as I did with the original. I saw Grease 2 maybe once in my adolescence and that was at a sleepover. The original Grease however was on high rotation at home and I only fast forwarded through one song (Beauty School Dropout) however even in later years (when I realised the angels were the other Pink Ladies) I would watch this song.
Grease 2 just didn't have the same hits in my opinion, I vaguely remembered the one where the guy is trying to persuade Sharon to have sex with him in a bomb shelter, and the Reproduction song.
Re-watching it for a girls night a couple of weeks ago, and it is essentially the same film but with the sexes reversed for who makes the personality change. But with less chemistry between characters, and singable songs.
I think watching it as an adult without the nostalgia glasses, you can see what a hot mess so much of the later half of Grease 2 is. But then again just because I can quote the original Grease doesn't mean it doesn't also have some problematic issues besides the whole changing yourself to please a partner.
Some thoughts:
Frenchie reprises her role as a beauty teacher (?) and then disappears half way through
Michelle Pfeiffer is gorgeous, no question but she is actually quite a tomboy in this film which is refreshing. I also found her song Cool Rider, probably the most catchiest
Maxwell Caulfield should have been a bigger star, though he can't sing and his song is the worst, but he had the makings to be big. Sad his career never really took off but didn't hurt Michelle's. The only other film of note that I know of his is the creepy Rex Manning in Empire Records
This song was also cray
Why is Craterface still hanging around? Seriously he is legit in his 30s by this point. Also is that him dancing in the luau dance?
Props to the costume department for the Girl For All Seasons song




No comments:
Post a Comment