Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Double creature feature

Wow, where the hell did 2014 go? I got married which was nice, but other than everything involved with that, I'm not sure what else has happened. I'm still fostering, but had to cut back over the wedding period, but of course have now just taken on a mum cat and her 5 kittens who unfortunately have ringworm. Ah well back to the grind.



In what feels like ages ago, our local station played 2 Australian creature features back to back (and no ads being the public broadcaster!) and I thought they were worth a mention.

The Reef
Released in 2010, friends on a boat which of course capsizes and they need to swim to the nearest island. This has obvious similarities to Open Water but I connected more to the characters in this one. I thought the effects were quite good, it was creepy, it really looked like the actors were swimming with sharks, and put yourself in the water with them. Living in a country that mostly populates the coast, I can't help but think of sharks when swimming. Particularly as there have been a few deaths in the last 3 year and we were named as one of two international hot spots for shark attacks (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-12/wa-identified-as-one-of-two-shark-hotspots/4514138). Obligatory Jaws reference: I also have a black dog, though not named Pippit.

Black Water
Released in 2007, and based on a true story: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/23/1071941726873.html
This time the terror is crocodilian. An older sister, her husband and the younger sister go on a fishing trip in  Northern Australia, and a crocodile capsizes their dinghy and kills the guide. The rest then have to survive the stalking crocodile.
I liked this film but didn't feel as much for the characters, I'm not sure if the threat just didn't feel as real to me, maybe because I don't have such a greater fear of crocodiles or the scares in The Reef just felt more real. I thought the ending was just a bit unbelievable too. But hey what do I know about crocodiles!? For another Australian crocodile movie but with an American lead actor, check out Rogue (2007).


 
 
 

No comments: