This film is regarded as
Ozploitation.
Ozploitation (a portmanteau of Australia and exploitation)
films are a type of low budget horror,
comedy
and action films
made in Australia after the introduction of the R rating in 1971. The year also
marked the beginnings of the Australian New Wave movement, and the Ozploitation
style peaked within the same time frame (early 1970s to late 1980s).
Ozploitation is often considered a smaller wave within the New Wave, "a
time when break-neck-action, schlock-horror, ocker comedy and frisky
sex romps joined a uniquely antipodean wave in exploitation (Thanks Wikipedia).
The plot is fairly simple, a
couple and their dog, Cricket, (the couple barely able to contain their
antagonistic, bitter relationship) go out for a trip to the beach, camping for
a long weekend.
Peter pushes Marcia into
going, but there’s obviously some deep rooted bitterness over something that
has happened with their friends recently. Marcia doesn’t like the outdoors, and
doesn’t want to be intimate with Peter. She also keeps hearing an unsettling
noise throughout the night, like a baby’s cry. Soon it is revealed what the
couple are fighting about, and Marcia just wants to go home.
The animals in the
environment all stand up to the test of time for realism, though the eagle
attack looked a bit dodgy. I had to laugh at the use of the Tasmanian devil, as
they are not found in mainland Australia, only Tasmania. An Australian crew
would know this, so I found this a strange choice. Although this film did do
well internationally (but not at home), so most international audiences would
not know what animal is native or not to particular regions of the country.
All in all though the animal
attacks do not harm Peter or Marcia in any substantial way, but they create a
sense of unease and adds to the realism of the situation. Are these attacks
co-incidental or is nature fighting back?
Neither Peter nor Marcia is
very likeable but we’re not really sure what we want to happen to them. Peter
sees some fellow campers and then goes back to check on them the following day
as he thought they were completely alone, but then that storyline and what has happened
to those other campers doesn’t really get explained or investigated as much as
it could.
The film has some problems,
at times it felt very slow and we are forced to watch two characters for the
majority of a movie who are hard to relate to in a traditional sense. In saying
that though, their unlikeability was quite realistic in a sad sort of way.
All in all this was an
interesting and in parts unsettling film. The last twenty minutes is devoid of
dialogue and I honestly didn’t know how it was going to end.
The actors are good, as
unlikeable as they were, and I did want them to get out of their long weekend
hell.
A remake was made in 2008
starring an Australian actress and an American actor in the lead roles, but I haven’t
seen it so can’t comment. I have an aversion to most remakes however, and the
reviews I’ve read have not been unfavourable but most recommend sticking to the
original as it just took the best parts from it.
Poor old Cricket, I like to
think she survived. She was the only sweet character.


1 comment:
I've always wanted to see that movie.
I've nominated you for a Liebster Award/chain letter. Here's link for details; http://scarina.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/scarina-pockets-a-liebster-award/
Post a Comment