Ah Mallory the often maligned and ignored member of The Babysitters Club books I used to read many moons ago.
Mallory was not my favourite character (Dawn was) but I didn’t hate on her because
she loved to read and draw and adored horses.
I related as she had so many
siblings – not because I did, but because I am the oldest and I related to that
responsibility thing that always got heaped on her. Mallory’s best friend was
Jessi and it was mentioned every book that Mallory was white and Jessi black.
One of my favourite ‘Mallory’ books was Mallory and the Mystery Diary.
They
really gave Mallory the triple trifecta of ugliness for a pre teen girl – red
curly hair, glasses and braces. Poor old Mal always looks the fugliest of all
the sitters on the covers, except for California Girls, one of the Super
Specials where she looks about 20 and smokin hot.
![]() |
| What most BSC fans would know as Mallory Pike. |
![]() |
| In the middle in the red swimsuit...surely some continuity errors with the illustrator? |
Max from the
television show, 2 Broke Girls
This show is
ridiculous, sexist, misogynist, etc but still I have come to watch every
episode. I think I got hooked on it during a time when I had nothing else to
watch (maybe after I exhausted all my True Blood episodes after I got into that
late).
Maybe it is the
power of Max Black (and in particular Kat Dennings the actress who plays her)
one of the aforementioned broke girls. There is no way I can relate to her, I
need to be liked by some people, and although I complain of having a tiny house
I’m not exactly living in squalor. I love her sassiness and her snarky love of
horses (I’m sensing a theme) and her hatred of hipsters is always entertaining. She also shows me how to dress huge boobs.
I loved the television series and still watch re runs happily, but I always hated being the ‘Miranda’ amongst my group of friends.
I do act the snarky one who doesn’t like too much affection, which seemed really boring – I think most people would want to be compared to Carrie, not the lawyer who rocked some seriously bad hair and outfits in season 1.
But hell I got used to it and could seriously relate to her honeymoon episode where she is aghast that she is just expected to lay in bed 80% of the time.
I”ve always seen her as Carrie’s closest friend too, and there are definitely more layers to her character than I believe Sam or Charlotte has.
A favourite line:
"I said no white, no ivory, no nothing that says ‘virgin’. I
have a child. The jig is up." –Miranda
The Ick Factor – Series 6
The Ick Factor – Series 6
*Stolen from Nikki at http://whatireadbackthen.wordpress.com/. Let me know if I can give you a letter to re post.




No comments:
Post a Comment