Thursday, March 15, 2012

Loser

I was flicking idly the other night and 2000’s Loser came on. I had forgotten about this movie and time hasn’t been its kindest friend, not that it was Amy Heckerlings best work to begin with.


I’m actually surprised Heckerling directed (and wrote), but not surprised her old buddy Twink Caplan showed up in this film (see also Look Who’s Talking, and Clueless).

Seeing Mena Suvari and Jason Biggs together in this film is akin to seeing Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy together in St Elmo’s Fire – it just seems weird when compared to their previous more popular films and pairings (American Pie and The Breakfast Club respectively).

American Pie was a huge movie when it came out. I loved it, never mind that it was nothing like my Australian high school experience (and I’m sure plenty of other American high school experiences too).

I remember the L loser signal when it was really popular. I remember it was around 2001 as I recall my cousin being born and we all thought it was hilarious that he learnt how to make the signal and use it to refer to my dad or mum when he was a toddler. It dates this movie of course, but I guess Heckerling has been about filming in the moment or just creating her own hyper stylised version of the current culture (hello Clueless!).
Mostly what I remembered from this movie is the pairing of the 2 American Pie stars, the L sign and Jason Biggs hunting style hat which hipsters will probably start wearing again. I watched about half of Loser before going to bed, so it may have had some good moral lessons but I missed them.

Speaking of American Pie, I call shenanigans (which was also the name of a past social netball team I was on – fun fact netball used to be called girls basketball in Australia until 1970) on the fact that the American Pie crew are having their reunion in 2012. I was sure I saw the original American Pie film when I was in 15 and I went to my ten year reunion last year hence they should have had their reunion in 2009. Unless it's not a class reunion per say. And then I'd look pretty silly.

No comments: