Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fright Night (1985)

It annoys me that there are all these remakes of 80s movies happening and my boyfriend hasn't even seen the originals (I haven't seen the original The Thing either but I plan on rectifying this soon).

Also:
1 These kids today won't even see the originals nor possibly know these new craps are remakes
2 Hollywood clearly has no new ideas and is lazy

There was a time during high school when my dad decided his children needed to watch some classics, thus this when I saw the original Fright Night where a teenager, Charlie thinks he is living next door to a vampire played by Chris Sarandon. No one believes him including his girlfriend Amy.
Some points:

Chris Sarandon has a certain charm although all I could remember of his previous roles was playing Prince Humpledink in the The Princess Bride where he was a douche.
Amy is one hella scary vampire
The special effects were still pretty good
I don't think it aged too badly if you ignore the club scene and Amy's hair style.

It looks like the remake has the old movie star character changed into some kind of legitimate magician/vampire killer instead of a washed up scared guy who helps Amy and Charlie that Roddy McDowell played so well in the original.

I felt it had some more realistic bits if possible. The bit where Peter Vincent just freaks out an d runs out the front door is something I would do.
Amy looked a lot older than a teenager though, and IMDB informs me she was actually 27 at the time the film was made. And I completely missed that she was Marcy in Married...With Children.
Charlie was pretty cute. And the character name of Amy should be used much more often in my opinion.

No comments: