Monday, September 19, 2011

Grosse Pointe Blank

Before I get into the film, it's been five weeks since my operation and I am now working again full time which has it's advantages (money) and disadvantages (I can no longer watch copious amounts of daytime TV in my comfy pants). 
My scars were actually a bit disappointing once the bandages come off except for one which is pirate esque and I'm quite proud of.

In honour of my impending ten year high school reunion next month (and also because there was a John Cusack movie in existence that I hadn’t seen), on Sunday night we watched Grosse Point Blank.
Released in 1997, the premise sounded interesting enough to my Transformers/Fast and the Furious fuelled boyfriend: Martin Blank (Cusack) is a hitman whose 10 year high school reunion is approaching. By fate (according to his secretary played by real life sister Joan Cusack) he also needs to perform a hit on someone in his hometown the same weekend. Dan Ackroyd is also on his tail (a competing hitman) begging him to join the union. Added into the mix is Debbie (Minnie Driver) who he stood up on Prom Night and hasn’t seen since.

My dad recommended this film years ago and it is surprising to me that I have taken so long to watch it.
I expected comedy, action and the wonderful Mr Cusack and this film did deliver that to some degree. I did think it would be funnier but it’s not to say I didn’t have some giggles.

It's hard to believe I'm now at the same point in life as John is in this movie. I've in no way got my career figured out (hitman or not) and I hope I don't dress as badly as some of these people who attend the reunion do. 
I had a genuine good laugh at the baby Martin holds while at the reunion. It was a nice contrast between the crazy 'married with three kids - I'm so happy (not really)' classmate in charge of the name badges at the entrance to the reunion and the mother of the baby Martin is holding  and her more chilled  out attitude to marriage and kids. And that kids facial expressions were just hilarious.

I thought the ending could have been better, it seemed a bit ambiguous but maybe that's just my preference for  a clearly defined ending.
Overall I enjoyed the film just not as much as I thought I would.

Regarding my own reunion, I am definitely going if only for curiosity's sake. I have some friends who are of the "I'm having my own party on the same night" persuasion. People hold grudges for a long time, or maybe they just don't want to revisit that time in their life, I get it, no judgement. My time wasn't that bad in high school (or maybe the years have dulled the pain) and I am just curious about some people who aren't on Facebook or have just dropped off the face of the planet.
I'll go and it will just be completely anti climatic. I'm not expecting any dead bodies a la Grosse Pointe Blank, but maybe there will be some funky moves to 2001's Miss Jackson by OutKast.


2 comments:

Michele said...

I really love that movie. It came out the same year I graduated from high school and is set in my home state, too. I don't know if my graduating class even had a reunion, but I'm sure it would have been anti-climactic, just like you said. Have you had your reunion yet?

Amiee said...

It's this weekend Michele, I will have to post a post-mortem next week!