Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The classics


Not to sound completely dumb but I am really struggling with finishing Jane Eyre. It wasn't even on my list of books to read in an earlier post but I bought it back in February last year using a book voucher my brother gave me and I keep putting other books ahead of it to read.

I have 2 categories of books I choose to read: those which are lighthearted and usually 'chick lit' and I can read while I eat my lunch at work. And then there are those other books I want to read because they are classics, I've heard good things about them and I also feel it will give my book collection some much need street cred.

Unfortunately I think I am not just interested enough in the story to hurry to finish it. I promised myself I'd finish it in the work break between Christmas and new year and here we are early January with the book still about 3/4 finished.

I haven't connected with the characters much at all, and Mr Rochester is definitely not doing anything for me. I don't know if this makes me the opposite of a literary snob, but I'm putting it out there that I do not love Jane Eyre. Or Wuthering Heights for that matter.


Thanks to http://www.rarebookschool.org/ for the frumpist book cover pic I could find.

No comments: