I know it's not 'trendy' (using some hip lingo there) to enjoy Stephen King novels, but I do. It's okay to like some of his novel to film adaptations (who doesn't like Stand by Me or The Shawshank Redemption?) but to admit to be being a Stephen King fan is apparently a little embarrassing.
I have a secret (well not really if you look on my profile). I have a morbid fear of clowns ever since my dad let me watch the first 5 minutes of It. I can't even link to the IMB page as I'm terrified I'll see a picture of the little fucker.
Why oh why did my dad show a youngster (think I may have been about 8, again can't look up the details to see the release date) those terrifying images? And I have not been able to finish watching the movie since. My boyfriend has offered to watch it with me as a kind of overcome your fear bullshit where I watch the film and conquer old demons. Or something.
But he hasn't seen the movie so I would like someone who will be able to give me a heads up when something scary is about to happen. And I'm really doubting this is even going to cure my fear, although I doubt it will make it worse but who knows.
Anyway enough neuroses and back to my enjoyment of other King stuff. I think he can actually write, sure he uses about 250 words when 1 will do, but you'd never say he's not descriptive and you get a good feel for his characters. It's hard to pick a favourite book, but my top 3 in no particular order would have to be:
The Dead Zone
The Stand
Misery
The last one came courtesy of my dad who reminded me what a great book and movie it was. As my boyfriend put so eloquently about Kathy Bates Oscar winning performance, 'That is one crazy bitch.' Terrible terrible moment involving the sledgehammer has to be noted.
One Stephen King movie I saw when I was in primary school but have not read the book is Tommyknockers, but I haven't heard great reviews for that one? I do love vintage King though.
Speaking of books I want to finally get around to reading, is Prep which I received via my special order yesterday and Peyton Place is on the way. I feel like I'm getting my education in books everyone else has read already, but better late than never.
No comments:
Post a Comment