Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Does it get any easier?

I'll be honest, I'm not getting any younger. I turned 25 last month and while this isn't incredibly old in the scheme of things I do feel I'm getting a bit old to not have a few things sorted out.

Job wise I still don't have much of an idea what I want to do. I have things I think I would enjoy but am getting to that stage where I don't want to start studying something again and then lose interest and decide I don't actually want to do this forever/full time.

Things I've tried (retail):

Toys r us, my first job lasted a couple of years after starting as a Christmas casual

McDonald's, a terrible 9 months which I hated and just did as I needed money. Worked the late Friday night shift 11pm-5am once and had drunk people through drive through asking me if I wanted to be burnt on the arm to become part of their 'club' *shivers*

cafe, lasted 4 years part time and really enjoyed the people I worked with and free muffins and slices

Office/administration:

lasted 2 days in an office for a courier company...Hated it with a passion and had a feeling from the beginning I wouldn't like it when they first told me I had 'won' the job

company I'm currently with, very small office have stayed nearly 2 years, pretty easygoing and low key but can get boring

other company I'm currently with, have lasted nearly a year..really don't have much of a clue about the industry, was meant to be a temp job until I worked out my plan...haven't gotten around to it.

In addition:

Have worked a few days as a dog washer, pretty hard work but I do love dogs but decided against it...I was young (19) and naive...thought working in an office was more 'glamorous' as you go to wear nicer clothes.

Also worked for 3 months for a rugby organisation but they let me go because I wasn't doing the accounts correctly (when I'd had no experience, formal training and was 19!).

So I have tried a few things and also studies. Straight out of high school I completed a certificate 4 in natural therapies and then did 2 years of an early childhood bachelor of education when I was 21. But I decided I wasn't ready to be a teacher, the whole thing was beginning to stress me out.

So I'm thinking maybe I need a job I can leave at work, I'll be stress less etc. But then I see all these high powered women with 'real' careers, passions and I want to be like them.
Maybe I just haven't found my niche yet.

Eh, this ended up being a lame journal type post.

No comments: