
Cannie Shapiro is a journalist who thinks she has a pretty good life, job, dog etc. She is on a break with her boyfriend of a few years, but isn't feeling particularly bad about it (she was the one who initiated the break) and is plodding along with life. Oh and she has a little weight problem, this does get mentioned many times and is the crux of the book in many ways.
Her life is turned upside down when her (soon to be ex) boyfriend, Bruce lands a regular column in a magazine titled Good In Bed and his first article is about the pain of loving a larger woman. Uh oh. Cannie confronts him and after going through a shame spiral, eventually decides she wants him back although as far as I, and a lot of other characters he has no great personality traits/personality.
Cannie also starts on a weight loss program and meets a kind doctor who she of course thinks is too old for her (and will prove to be major plot device later). She also interviews and then brfriends an unlikely celebrity through her work as a journalist and goes on a journey of self discovery about herself when she is confronted with various ups and downs. All is going along pretty well again for Cannie and then she is confronted with a challenge she didn't think would come along.
I quite enjoyed this book, although it was predictable in many ways and so many plot devices are used purely as ways for Cannie to 'get ahead'. I did find her anger towards the end of the book a little bit unrealistic. I understood why she was angry, but I'm not sure myself why I just didn't find it authentic for whatever reason.
But I also did enjoy not having to read about a 'trim neat blonde' (just an example) as seems to be the usual with a lot of chick lit. These 'trim' (man I hate that word, it conjures up images of society women who just grab a bite to eat here and there because they're so busy with their charity work) girls still do have their own flaws otherwise the stories would be too boring but they seem to have the perfect body to make up for their (usually pretty small) flaws. Overall about a 6.5 out of 10, nice homely kind of book I could easily read while eating my lunch at work.
No comments:
Post a Comment