I know I know I know there are already that many blogs etc devoted to twilight and probably just as many expressing their contempt of Stephanie Myers's books but I wanted to add my own opinion, without perhaps the amount of hype it received in America.
I got on to Twilight through a friend who kept having facebook status changes expressing her thoughts on the latest book. I will read most things to give them a go and see what I think and this was one of those cases (apart from Harry Potter just could never get into that).
I bought my own copy for some reason and began reading straight away. I'm not going to go much into the story as I'm sure most are very aware of the plot line if not through the book then the movie which has now also come out here in Australia too.
To begin with I was quite annoyed with Bella as so many are. I found her character to be annoying, I had no idea why so many people wanted to be her friend and why every guy in the school wanted to date her. She seemed to get herself into the stupidest situations without knowledge or any air of awareness at all, and it just didn't ring true in any sense (I know I am talking about a book with vampires but come on).
Edward's (said vampire) dreaminess was mentioned annoying so on every second page but he never really did anything for me. Maybe because I'm too old to be reading this stuff.
The book didn't get too interesting for me until about 2/3s in when it seemed like an actual plot line started to develop. And then I admit I got hooked in and wanted to read more. My co worker (a converted Twilight nut) then placed the second book on my desk (her copy) before I got to work one day and I will also admit I am reading it now, and really prefer Jacob to Edward.
Bella is still annoying but unfortunately I've probaly suckered myself into reading the whole series now. If I were to give advice I'd say don't bother and save yourselves the pain I'm surely in for, but if you want some mindless fluff to read go right ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment